About Me

My photo
Canberra-based naturalist, conservationist, educator since 1980. I’m passionate about the natural world (especially the southern hemisphere), and trying to understand it and to share such understandings. To that aim I’ve written several books (most recently 'Birds in Their Habitats' and 'Australian Bird Names; origins and meanings'), run tours all over Australia, and for the last decade to South America, done a lot of ABC radio work, chaired a government environmental advisory committee and taught many adult education classes – and of course presented this blog, since 2012. I am the recipient of the Australian Natural History Medallion, the Australian Plants Award and most recently a Medal of the Order of Australia for ‘services to conservation and the environment’. I live happily in suburban Duffy with my partner Louise surrounded by a dense native garden and lots of birds.

Monday 29 October 2012

Seasonal Orchids

Orchid season is sliding by, and several species have already packed it in until next spring, but some new ones are still appearing. One highlight yesterday was an early Buttercup Donkey orchid in a precious roadside forest remnant on the way to Monga National Park yesterday (of which more later this week). 
Diuris aequalis north of Braidwood.
(This is a threatened species and I can't be more specific in a public forum.)
 Closer to home, I saw some new ones for the year on Black Mountain, part of Canberra Nature Park in central Canberra. A much commoner and more widespread donkey orchid is the Tiger Orchid, but no less beautiful for being familiar.
Diuris sulphurea, Black Mountain.
Actually this first one isn't really new - I've already mentioned it before in this blog - but it's one of my favourites and they're coming to an end for the season; the photo I think nicely illustrates its alternative name, Parson-in-the-Pulpit, for the column arising from the white base.
Glossodia major (Waxlip), Black Mountain.
Another one, both beautiful and uncommon, which I was happy to see, not having done so for a few years (not least because I've been away in November!) is Black-tongue Finger Orchid (also known, a little anaemically, as Pink Caps). I found just two, both already a bit past their best, but almost any pic of this beauty is worth posting.
Stegostyla congesta, Black Mountain.
Sun Orchids are always a delight, and at present only one, small-flowered, species is evident, though there will be more. This one has not been formally described yet; overall the taxonomy of sun orchids is still somewhat uncertain.
Thelymitra sp. aff. decora,  Ornate Sun Orchid; Black Mountain.
Finally, an orchid which is another special favourite; in fact the genus of bearded orchids is a sort of totem of mine, for reasons which should be fairly obvious (though sadly my own beard isn't retaining its lustrous colour to nearly the extent that the orchids seem to manage from year to year!).
Calochilus platychilus,  Purple Beard Orchid, Black Mountain.
(This one was until very recently called T. robertsonii,  but that species is now regarded as
limited to south-western Victoria and adjacent South Australia.)
As an unrepentant orchiholic, it's surprising even to me that I've not yet dedicated an entire posting to orchids; this is unlikely to be the last one though...

No comments: