About Me

My photo
Canberra-based naturalist, conservationist, educator since 1980. I’m passionate about the natural world (especially the southern hemisphere), and trying to understand it and to share such understandings. To that aim I’ve written several books (most recently 'Birds in Their Habitats' and 'Australian Bird Names; origins and meanings'), run tours all over Australia, and for the last decade to South America, done a lot of ABC radio work, chaired a government environmental advisory committee and taught many adult education classes – and of course presented this blog, since 2012. I am the recipient of the Australian Natural History Medallion, the Australian Plants Award and most recently a Medal of the Order of Australia for ‘services to conservation and the environment’. I live happily in suburban Duffy with my partner Louise surrounded by a dense native garden and lots of birds.

Wednesday 2 January 2013

... and the Sun Rises on 2013

Well, maybe it's a bit predictable, but it does seem appropriate to complement my symbolic sunsets from last time with some equally symbolic sunrises to mark the beginning of what I hope will be a bright new year for us all. As you'll see, I'm fond of sunrises over water. I hope I'm permitted to also include a couple that were actually taken pre-sunrise, in the first grey preludes to dawn. And at least this time I don't have to specify that I haven't been to all these places this year...
Lake Cargelligo, New South Wales; not smoke, but fog on this big inland water storage - natural, but now regulated.
I liked the Black Kite drifting through. (For more on this area see this earlier blog.)
Lake Edward, Queen Elizabeth NP, Uganda.
I confess that this was the view from the breakfast area.
Across Cocha Anangu, Napo Lodge, Yasuni NP, Ecuador.
This is a superb lodge, run by the Anangu Quichua community.
Streaky Bay, west coast of South Australia.
It's unusual of me to include structures in such pictures, but this time there wasn't much choice.
Volcano Corcovado, southern Chile, taken from the sea.
The ferry trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto Chacabuco (about 20 hours) is superb;
I'll feature it in a future blog.
Table Mountain (of course!) but taken from the north, which isn't the most familiar view of it.
Cocha Salvador, Peruvian Amazonia.
Pre-dawn on Mount Kupe, western Cameroon.
The day spent birding up the mountain was among the most memorable and exhausting I've spent.

Machu Picchu, Peru, from below, in pre-dawn mist.
Sunrise over Ruhija, Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, western Uganda.
The start of another superb day, in primary rainforest.
 Now the sun is well and truly up, and next time I'll try to bring you something a little more substantial!

Back Friday.





2 comments:

Susan said...

Beautiful (but mostly way too early in the morning for me to contemplate :-)

Ian Fraser said...

Yes, that's a definite advantage of insects and fungi - birds are less forgiving... But really, once you're up, it is a beautiful time of day! Thanks for your kind words; hope you're enjoying l'hiver as much as I am summer.